Healthy eating can be a fun part of holiday parties and celebrations. Offer healthy foods from all the food groups and most of all focus on enjoying friends and family. Here are some tips to boost your spirits and nourish your body through the New Year!
- Don’t skip meals, especially breakfast.
- Drink water. Staying hydrated is key; helps to reduce food cravings.
- Plate everything before you eat. This helps to increase awareness of what you’re consuming when you see it on the plate.
- Wash your hands. What’s worse than getting ill for the holidays?
- Get active with your family. Go for a walk or play a game of football to get some exercise and spend some time together!
- Make foods appear festive. Decorate foods with seeds, nuts or cut out shapes of vegetables or fruits. Add to a favorite dish and enjoy.
- Offer whole-grain crackers, serve a spicy healthy dip and a veggie tray, and make fruit kabobs, layer yogurt and fruit to create a healthy parfait. Add whole grains and vegetables to a healthy salad.
- Keep it simple. Have others participate by bringing a prepared healthy dish and help with the cleanup.
- Get your party moving with dancing to favorite holiday songs, playing active games or a game of holiday charades by acting out your favorite holiday movie or song.
- Sleep. It improves everything.
- Breathe. Find a quiet place, breathe for 5 counts in and out for a few times and center yourself.
Wishing you a healthy and happy holiday season!
Reviewed by: Liz Smith, M.S., R.D., L.D.