Has doing laundry become routine for you? If so, The American Cleaning Institute (ACI) encourages you to consider the importance of laundry safety, especially as it relates to the new single-load liquid laundry packets. As with all cleaning products, we should know that laundry detergents should be handled with care and stored out of reach and sight of children. The compact size and concentration of single-load packets has manufacturers joining together to emphasize the importance of safe practices to avoid harmful exposure to children and adults from this convenient, new product.
The single-load packets should be handled and stored carefully to avoid harmful exposure to children, adults, or pets. These new products can be fascinating to children and a temptation they can’t resist playing with or eating. The concentrated detergent can be harmful if swallowed or exposed to the eyes, causing vomiting, wheezing, and chemical burns. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends following these safety practices:
• Do not let children handle laundry packets.
• Store out of sight and reach of children, if you don’t already have one consider adding a cupboard or shelf above your washer.
• Ensure re-closable bag or container is tightly sealed during storage.
• Store away from moisture – packets quickly dissolve upon contact with water, wet hands, or saliva.
• If the single-load liquid laundry packets become stuck together, do not pull them apart; throw them away.
• Do not cut, tear or puncture the single-load liquid laundry packets. They are designed to dissolve completely in the machine, even in cold water.
• As with other laundry products, keep packets in their original container with intact labels.
• Do not squeeze – packets can rupture, releasing contents into eyes.
• If you think a child has been exposed to a single-load liquid laundry packet, call your local poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
• Don’t forget these guidelines also relate to the similar packets used in dishwashers.
There are things you can do today – and everyday – to ensure your laundry routine is as safe as possible. Start right now by taking the KEY pledge to follow ACI’s simple steps to a safe laundry room and routine:
Keep single-load liquid laundry packets out of the reach of children
Educate your family and friends about the safe use and storage of these new laundry products
You serve a key role in laundry safety
Go to: http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/clean_living/take_the_pledge.aspx to take the ACI pledge and select to be entered into a sweepstakes for a chance to win a $2,500 grand prize to help makeover your laundry room!
Other resources from the ACI include:
Downloadable Laundry Room Safety Checklist:
Downloadable Safe Laundry Room Practices Poster:
Resources: American Cleaning Institute, http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/
Author: Polly Loy, Family & Consumer Science Educator, Ohio State University Extension, Belmont County, Buckeye Hills EERA, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reviewer: Lisa Barlage, Extension Educator, Family & Consumer Sciences, Ohio State University Extension, Ross County, Ohio Valley EERA, email@example.com.